Our Group

Our Scout Group Cheam

Beaver Group CheamCub Scouts CheamScout Group Cheam

In 1949, due to the large waiting lists in Cheam, it was decided to start a new group and under the leadership of Miss Elsa Pott, 8th Cheam Cub pack was formed.

Miss Pott led the group for 2 years before handing over to Mrs Kinton. In 1951, some of the cubs were of scout age so a Scout Troop was formed.

The first meetings were held at St. Dunstans School with all the equipment being stored in Scouters and parents’ homes and garages.

Our present headquarters building finally opened in May 1967; it took 13 years from the start of the project to the opening, which coincidentally was the Diamond Jubilee year of the Scout Movement.

Scouting has changed much over the years, from uniforms to new sections, as it should do to attract young people to join.

In 1984, 8th Cheam formed one of the first Beaver Colony’s in the District. It has seen many of those boys go up through the

scouting sections, in turn providing them with a good foundation for their adult lives.

2002 saw, after much consultation, a reorganisation of the age groups within the existing sections and the formation of two new sections for older members; Explorers 14½ – 18 and Network 18 – 25 years old. Both of which are District based and are to help, encourage and retain potential young leaders.

The financing to maintain and run our headquarters for our young people is, as always, reliant on subscriptions and Fund Raising Activities. Some of our fundraising activities include several social evenings, like themed Quiz Nights and BBQ’s. We have also raised funds through supermarket bag packing and the recycling of old cloths and printer cartridges.

Email Our Group

8thcheamscoutgroup@gmail.com